Join Us on Saturday October 1 at 10:30 for our monthly league meeting. "Decline of Local Journalism" -- Report of LWV Study
Skagit LWV Board Meeting We will hear from Erin Long about We Ignite 2023 Monday, October 31, 2022 at 1:00 on Zoom
Join Us on Saturday November 5 at 10:30 for our monthly league meeting. Nichol Ellis will tell us about Camp Korey, A place where imagination sparks the spirit, wishes come true, and childhood comes first!
Visits since September 8, 2020
Priority Items, Meetings and Events
Go to the Calendar for recordings of previous events
Click the link above to get background information on affordable housing in Skagit County
The Skagit League of Women Voters is in the preliminary stages in putting together a series of meetings intended to inform Skagit County residents about the issus surrounding affordable housing in our county. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify the problem to be addressed - We need affordable housing in our communities for employees of local firms, including teachers, firefighters, police, manufacturing, restaurants, nurses. Essentially everyone that works in our communities. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify, with each community, why there is a lack of affordable housing. This would be customized with input from the experts / professionals in each community but may include: housing density, height restrictions, lack of balance between zoning for multifamily vs, single family housing, etc.
- What policy solutions exist for each community. Again, the solutions would be provided by the local experts / professionals from the community
- What positive actions have been taken locally they have taken toward solving the lack of affordable housing.
To proceed with these public forums, the LWV will need to partner with:
- Skagit Council of Governments
- Skagit housing consortium
- Housing Authority of Skagit County
- Skagit Habitat for Humanity
- Home Trust of Skagit
- Community Action Agency
- local housing authorities
- Local Tribes
- Many other local interested parties, etc.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please call or text Ed West at 6087929387 cell
General Election Candidate Forums
US Congressional District 2 Candidate Forum, Friday October 7 at 6 PM (Zoom Link Passcode 515280)
Legislative District 10 Position 1 & 2 Candidate Forum, Thursday October 20 at 6 PM (check back for access)
Legislative District 40 Positions 1 & 2 Candidate Forums, are still in the planning stage, check back
Secretary of State Candidate forum, Sunday, October 23, 3:30 – 4:30 pm https://TVW.org - see TVW and area public broadcasters for times)
US Senate Candidate Forum, Sunday October 23, 5 to 6 PM https://TVW.org - see TVW and area public broadcasters for times)
General Election Dates
National Voter Registration Day Tuesday, September 20, 2022
BALLOTS DROP - Friday, October 21, 2022
LAST DAY MAILED VOTER REGISTRATION FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED AND LAST DAY TO REGISTER ON-LINE - Monday, October 31, 2022
DEADLINE TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN PERSON AT THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE - Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 8 PM.
Note, if you are mailing your ballot, you should put it in the mail box by Tuesday November 1
GENERAL ELECTION DAY - BALLOTS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY THE POST OFFICE, OR PUT IN BALLOT DROP BOXES - Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 8 PM