SAVE THE DATE:
May 15th, 2023 6:30 - 8PM
Community meeting on The Future of Local Journalism
Where: Mount Vernon High School Auditorium,
1075 E. Fulton Street
Speakers to include:
- The Mount Vernon High School Debate Team
- Brier Dudley from Seattle Times Free Press Initiative
- and MORE!
Housing for Our Whole Community - Anacortes
- How the lack of affordable housing affects our whole community,
- What the City and non-profits are doing about it
- How you can help
Visits since September 8, 2020
Priority Items, Meetings and Events
Go to the Calendar for recordings of previous events
Click the link above to get background information on affordable housing in Skagit County
The Skagit League of Women Voters is in the preliminary stages in putting together a series of meetings intended to inform Skagit County residents about the issus surrounding affordable housing in our county. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify the problem to be addressed - We need affordable housing in our communities for employees of local firms, including teachers, firefighters, police, manufacturing, restaurants, nurses. Essentially everyone that works in our communities. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify, with each community, why there is a lack of affordable housing. This would be customized with input from the experts / professionals in each community but may include: housing density, height restrictions, lack of balance between zoning for multifamily vs, single family housing, etc.
- What policy solutions exist for each community. Again, the solutions would be provided by the local experts / professionals from the community
- What positive actions have been taken locally they have taken toward solving the lack of affordable housing.
To proceed with these public forums, the LWV will need to partner with:
- Skagit Council of Governments
- Skagit housing consortium
- Housing Authority of Skagit County
- Skagit Habitat for Humanity
- Home Trust of Skagit
- Community Action Agency
- local housing authorities
- Local Tribes
- Many other local interested parties, etc.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please call or text Ed West at 6087929387 cell
Learn about 2023 legislative topics at ACTviaZoom
Because a strong democracy requires informed citizen participation, ACTviaZoom (Action Coffee Time) invites you to learn more about the topics we are called to take action on in the League of Women Voter’s weekly Legislative Action Newsletter.
Weekly information/question/answer session using League, State and Community resources who bring the background information you need on topics related to current WA State
Legislation. Get the basics, then use the weekly Legislative Action Newsletter from LWVWA to let your legislators hear your voice. Citizen powered elections, advisory votes, redistricting reform, gun safety legislation are just a few of the topics ACTviaZoom will discuss.
League members statewide and guests who want to be informed citizen advocates.
Mondays, 10 - 11 am from Mon., Jan. 2 thru Mon., April 24