Join Us on September 9 at 10:30 for our monthly league meeting. The presentation by member Doris Brevoort will be Mental Health
Visits since September 8, 2020
Priority Items, Meetings and Events
Go to the Calendar for recordings of previous events
Click the link above to get background information on affordable housing in Skagit County
The Skagit League of Women Voters is in the preliminary stages in putting together a series of meetings intended to inform Skagit County residents about the issus surrounding affordable housing in our county. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify the problem to be addressed - We need affordable housing in our communities for employees of local firms, including teachers, firefighters, police, manufacturing, restaurants, nurses. Essentially everyone that works in our communities. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify, with each community, why there is a lack of affordable housing. This would be customized with input from the experts / professionals in each community but may include: housing density, height restrictions, lack of balance between zoning for multifamily vs, single family housing, etc.
- What policy solutions exist for each community. Again, the solutions would be provided by the local experts / professionals from the community
- What positive actions have been taken locally they have taken toward solving the lack of affordable housing.
To proceed with these public forums, the LWV will need to partner with:
- Skagit Council of Governments
- Skagit housing consortium
- Housing Authority of Skagit County
- Skagit Habitat for Humanity
- Home Trust of Skagit
- Community Action Agency
- local housing authorities
- Local Tribes
- Many other local interested parties, etc.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please call or text Ed West at 6087929387 cell
Primary Election Candidate Forums
US Congressional District 2 Candidate Forum,
recorded July 7 at 6 PM (10 candidates) Note: Certain remarks in the video recording may be upsetting to viewers. The League of Women Voters of Bellingham-Whatcom County and the co-sponsors of this forum do not condone speech creating violent imagery against others, regardless of whether the intent is to incite or commit violence or not. Violent statements made by the candidate participating in this League-led event regarding the death of an elected official are not supported by the League. LWV believes it is important to condemn this type of language explicitly as it has no place in the civil discourse of our democracy. That said, LWV took great care in deciding to leave the content up, unedited, due to our values of free speech and nonpartisan voter information.