Join Us on July 9, at 10:30 am to hear about and share your ideas about Future Program topics.
On July 9, at 10:20 you can click 'here' to join the presentation
Mark your calendar - “Brie @ Three” at Kathy Reim's Sunday, August 7, at 3:00 pm.
It will be great to see everyone and meet some for the first time.
Visits since September 8, 2020
Priority Items, Meetings and Events
Go to the Calendar for recordings of previous events
Click the link above to get background information on affordable housing in Skagit County
The Skagit League of Women Voters is in the preliminary stages in putting together a series of meetings intended to inform Skagit County residents about the issus surrounding affordable housing in our county. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify the problem to be addressed - We need affordable housing in our communities for employees of local firms, including teachers, firefighters, police, manufacturing, restaurants, nurses. Essentially everyone that works in our communities. We are defining this as housing affordable to households earning between 60 and 120 percent of the area median income.
- Identify, with each community, why there is a lack of affordable housing. This would be customized with input from the experts / professionals in each community but may include: housing density, height restrictions, lack of balance between zoning for multifamily vs, single family housing, etc.
- What policy solutions exist for each community. Again, the solutions would be provided by the local experts / professionals from the community
- What positive actions have been taken locally they have taken toward solving the lack of affordable housing.
To proceed with these public forums, the LWV will need to partner with:
- Skagit Council of Governments
- Skagit housing consortium
- Housing Authority of Skagit County
- Skagit Habitat for Humanity
- Home Trust of Skagit
- Community Action Agency
- local housing authorities
- Local Tribes
- Many other local interested parties, etc.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please call or text Ed West at 6087929387 cell
Primary Election Candidate Forums
Recordings of all forums will be available here before July 15 - Check back here closer to the events for possible links to the live events
Legislative District 10 Position 1 & 2 Candidate Forum, recorded July 11 at 7 PM (3 & 2 candidates)
Legislative District 39 Position 1 Candidate Forum, recorded July 5 at 7 PM (4 candidates)
Legislative District 39 Position 2 Candidate Forum, recorded July 6 at 7 PM (4 candidates)
Secretary of State Candidate forum recorded July 14th at 6:30 PM (8 candidates)